Thursday, August 23, 2012

Building a Handicap Ramp

This is a boring blog today, but then I only did two things today so I suppose it would be boring. 

Ever since I started teaching people self reliant skills at the house I've been planning on putting a handicap ramp to one of my doors.  Since my kitchen steps had given up the ghost last winter, they were the logical place to start.  So I went out and bought lumber and hardware and then... 

Well, here's the problem I've built many a stairs and steps.  I built decks, buildings, fireplaces, chimneys, root cellars and even went through a three year period where I built log cabins just to see if I could do it.  I can. :-)  But when a person builds all of those things they try their darnedest to make it level.  Level I am good at.  But handicap ramps aren't level.  That's kinda the point of them.  They slope up gradually so that those will mobility issues have an easier time going from point A to point B.  I've never built anything like this, so it is a challenge for me.  I love challenges but for some reason I've been putting this one off. 

But this last weekend I was looking at that stack of lumber that I had to mow around (not much because of the drought but still...) and I decided it was time to get started.  I hired my 16 year old nephew to come over and help me (and laugh at my mistakes), and we started our project today.

First here are my broken kitchen steps that needed replacing anyway.


Scary I know.  No one but me and my cousin has been allowed through this door since last March.

So first came the demolition.  The fun part of any job.  Smashing and tearing at things lets out any pent up anger I may be carrying (not that I carry that much).  But for broken down steps, those suckers fought to stay put.  We did prevail, however, though I did lose a whole bunch of morning glories in the process.



You can see the stakes that I set out to mark where the new posts were going in.  Because the two remaining posts that are there are still in good shape, and because a friend that has since past on signed them, I did not want to get rid of them.  I simply moved them to the back.  So if you're wondering why there are still two faded green posts there, it's because they have sentimental meaning.

Next we framed out the deck.  Easy enough and a good skill for me to teach my nephew.  It's also good for young men to work with a woman being their boss from time to time. 


From there the deck and stairs were easy if time consuming.  Measure, cut and screw in place. Here in Wisconsin it is best to use screws in building a deck because they usually don't pop back out and trying to shovel snow off a deck that has popped nails is a pain.  By late afternoon that part was finished.


So that's it... Wait, what about the handicap ramp!?!  Since I have never built a handicap ramp and because it was getting well over 90 degrees outside and this is NOT in the shade, I decided to start fresh in the morning when I can think a little bit better.  The ramp will come off right next to the steps and it will be less steep.  I just have to figure out how to do not level and I need a brain that's not melting in my head to do that.

Tomorrow we'll be back to work and it would be wonderful if we could get the main part of the ramp done.  We'll see, but for now at least I have stairs going into the kitchen that aren't so scary and a sixteen year old boy that knows how to build them (something many contractors don't do).  All and all, a good day's work. 

Except I went out and picked apples and am now making applesauce.  Sometimes I need to know when to stop.  It is too hot to make applesauce today, but I figure it will taste wonderful on a cold day in January, when the snow is three feet deep and I get to taste a bit of summer in a jar.  Yep, I'll get this done and then maybe go swimming at the swimming hole.  A late night skinny dip may be needed to clear my head and cool me off.  LOL

 



1 comment:

  1. This is boring according to whom? I'm in awe of your energy!

    ReplyDelete